Sunday, July 4, 2010

silence

"I think the devil has made it his business to monopolize on three elements: noise, hurry, crowds. If he can keep us hearing radios, gossip, conversation, or even sermons, he is happy. But he will not allow quietness. For he believes Isaiah where we do not. Satan is quite aware of the power of silence." - Jim Elliot

Today was a silent day for me. I didn't realize how much I needed it until I just turned off my cell phone, hid my laptop, and spent time reading and journaling. What a sweet gift we have in being able to meet with our Creator...He is not afraid of the mess that is in my heart, on the contrary, He moves toward me in my mess and rescues me..

This morning we sang this song at church.."Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe, sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow"..what a sweet time of worship with my new community, Trinity Park Church, in a family's home complete with a potluck lunch afterward...God is making it more clear every day His purpose in moving me toward this church plant...

I've had a rough couple days...there's so much going on in my life right now and I just can't seem to keep up...the sermon this morning was on Psalm 22..similar to a lot of the Psalms, David moves from suffering and lament to worship through the course of the Psalm...that's one of my favorite things about the Psalms and why I spend a lot of my time with the Lord journaling because inevitably, even if I start out whining, the Lord changes my heart to see His goodness and be reminded of His faithfulness to me...I'm so thankful for a God and for people in my life who aren't afraid of my mess but are willing to move toward me and walk with me through it, fighting alongside me in this battle..

We got a new roommate named Katie. She's great. We're still getting to know each other but I'm pretty sure she'll end up being a great friend. I'm thankful to see how the Lord orchestrated her moving in with us. We didn't even have to try, she just showed up and moved in and it's gonna be so fun! we miss Nichole a lot, though...I wish we could all live together..

In other news, I got lice from some kids I hang out with and just finished de-lousing my head and my entire apartment. I've tested my friendship with Ellen to the max. You know you've got a good friend when she's willing to pick through your hair with a tiny comb removing small bugs that have taken up residence all at 1 am. truly remarkable. and now our apartment is really really clean for something new and different.

I'm going to sleep now.

No comments: