Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Haiti day 3

I've never been so busy in my life. We're getting plenty of sleep but the exhaustion just doesn't seem to want to leave. The kids are so great, though...they make it all worth it for sure! Their smiles are priceless and it's amazing that these kids who've lost arms, legs, feet, family members are so resilient and willing to do anything. 2 year olds swallow huge pills here! i think i might have a little trouble mustering up sympathy for some of my patients at Duke when we get back. but there is so much joy here despite the sadness and the lack of resources. today we took the kids on a parade around the rest of the compound to cheer everyone up and it was a precious sight. Their Creole rendition of "How Great Thou Art" almost brought me to tears. I'm trying to take a lot of pictures but honestly, it's so busy that I haven't had tons of time to do anything but work and sleep. Cindy and I did break down and shower last night because there is actually a little bit of warm water! praise the Lord! :) We're a little nervous because the volunteers that are running Peds right now are leaving soon (some tomorrow and some friday) which means Cindy and I will be in charge on Friday. We're not sure what that is going to look like but hopefully we'll be prepared by then. well, i've taken long enough and now need to head back to the wards but I just wanted to update a little bit while I had a second. maybe I'll have some more time tonight if I can get a computer! hope everyone is doing well! sending Haitian love!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Sounds like you are settling in as much as possible. Thank you for updating us. The children and families there sound amazing!!!! I know you are such a huge blessing to them. I'm praying for you and for Cindy. Tell her I said "hi" and I'm praying. I will be lifting up the situation on Friday when you are in charge.

Love,
Sharon R